Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Where do you hang your hat?

I always liked the expression, “That is something that you can hang your hat on!”.

I thought I would add a few more “hat expressions” just for fun. It is interesting to me how such seemingly silly  expressions, can have such deep meaning.

How did I ever get on the subject of hats?

Well, I am what I would call a Semi-Texan. Most all of my relatives and immediate family are from Texas including my mom and my wife. The city I live in is only about 10 miles from the Texas state line. Even though I have really never worn a cowboy hat much, I have been known to wear a baseball cap. For the uninitiated that have never lived in the southern part of the US, the baseball cap in all of it's variations is the common hat to be worn.  Some men even have special caps that are to be worn on dates or for special outings like a trip to Walmart.  They often have a different hat for fishing, working on the car and for going to work.  No, I am not kidding.

I have found when dealing with complex issues, I prefer to put them in my own everyday words if at all possible.  That is how I got on this subject of hats.  This whole thought process started with thinking about church doctrine complexity.  I almost feel at times that a law degree would help me better understand some of the nuances of the different church doctrines.

It is very important to me, that the doctrine of the church to which I am a member of and particularly the one I am trying to become a minister for is one that I can hang my hat on. I do believe that God accepts all Christians and that we are all a member of His church.

For me, all of these different denominations are like the 31 flavors at Baskin-Robbins. All of the flavors are still ice cream, but each has its own unique taste and texture. If I were going to describe United Methodists beliefs as an ice cream flavor, I would go with Pistachio. One, because it is my favorite, and two, because its a very traditional flavor that has a long and consistent history.  I guess you could call it a classic. We could have fun describing all the denominations as ice cream flavors,  but that might get a little silly. I guess my only question would be, “Which one is Rocky Road?”  Also, I think "Cherries Jubilee" even sounds rather charismatic.

So, my squirrel disease (see previous blog for meaning if required) got the better of me for a moment. Well, I am human and a little silly at times. The doctrine of my chosen church is very complex, it seems. I think it aligns itself with many other Protestant church doctrines. The difference, I guess, would be that the United Methodists wrote it all down. Many churches have extremely similar beliefs, but the doctrines are not quite as spelled out as the United Methodist doctrine.  Some doctrines are as detailed as the United Methodist, if not more so.

For many of the denominations that chose to be much less detailed than the United Methodist, one is required to search the scriptures for guidance on the particular issue. I think this method has pros and cons. The pros would be that any rules regarding what a church should be must be inspired by scripture, which is the ultimate authority for any Christian church. The cons would be if it isn't written down then it could be interpreted like the Pharisees did Jewish law. The Pharisees often made their interpretation of the laws a benefit for themselves and impossible for the person trying to follow their interpretations.

I personally do not see any denomination as infallible in the interpretation of what and how a church is supposed to exist and act. I know that my knowledge on this subject is so very limited. I also know that the Holy Spirit is with us and that should be our guide.  The Holy Spirit would be the ultimate authority on this subject, as far as I am concerned.   For me, the United Methodist Church's acceptance of me as a candidate for ministry is a very big deal. The United Methodist Church has been so very accepting of me and my imperfect past. It would not do me any good to try to become a minister in a some other denomination where someone like me, would not even be considered.

I know that the particular United Methodist Church of which I am a member is a wonderful place to worship. They are a very loving and caring congregation. I would not be on this path to become a minister if it weren't in part to the love and support that I am given by my fellow church members and my pastors. Because of  all these wonderful folks, I found a church and a denomination where I could hang my hat.

Bring on the hat metaphors!  These were just some thoughts about Christians explained using hats.  Hopefully, it will not be a catastrophe or a hat-tastrophe either.

I have met a few Christians that talk through their hats. Their beliefs are not based on sound Biblical principles. Usually, it is just because they heard something wrong at one time or another, or because they were actually taught incorrectly.

Many persons upon understanding that they really got it wrong, may want to consider eating their hats.  I know I would, if I made such a mistake. I know that I have made lots of mistakes and probably will again.

I would imagine that going to church and being a Christian could be old hat for the sanctified out there and for Christians that have been in church from the time they had no teeth until the time they had no teeth again.

Now, some of those folks that operate those cults out there could be considered mad as a hatter. (I think maybe they were sniffing mercury as well. A reference to the definitions listed at the end.)

I think that we all must approach the cross with our hat in hand. We are to be humble before God. I think humility is required for repentance. We must submit to God and His authority.

Passing the hat is definitely a standard operating procedure for all churches and charities. The Lord does truly love a cheerful giver. Those gifts are required to allow churches to do all the wonderful things they do.

I guess in some ways, I threw my hat in the ring when I decided to go into the ministry. It is about accepting the challenges being a minister will bring into my life, no matter what they may be.

Obviously, we all have to wear many hats in life these days. Being a part-time pastor and working full time is only one example. I think all the Moms of the world wear lots of hats everyday.

I really like this next one. Some folks are all hats and no cattle. I think lots of folks pretend to be something more than they are. I hope that I don't ever do that.

Life and death both happen at the drop of a hat. That is why we all need to be prepared. To know and accept Jesus Christ is the only way to be prepared.

As Christians we are not supposed to keep our beliefs under our hats. We are supposed to be a light unto the world.

And finally when Jesus comes riding in the sky, you know he will be wearing a white hat. All the good guys wore white hats.


Here is a short list taken from a website about phrases using hats. I only included the ones I used above.

Talking Through Your Hat

To talk nonsense or to lie. c1885. [In an interview in The World entitled "How About White Shirts", a reporter asked a New York streetcar conductor what he thought about efforts to get the conductors to wear white shirts like their counterparts in Chicago. "Dey're talkin' tru deir hats" he was quoted as replying.]

Eating Your Hat

There is no such thing as a sure thing, but that's where this expression comes from. If you tell someone you'll eat your hat if they do something, make sure you’re not wearing your best hat-just in case. [The expression goes back at least to the reign of Charles II of Great Britain and had something to do with the amorous proclivities of 'ol Charlie. Apparently they named a goat after him that had his same love of life which included, in the goat's case, eating hats.]

Old Hat

Old, dull stuff; out of fashion. [This seems to come from the fact that hat fashions are constantly changing. The fact of the matter is that hat fashions had not been changing very fast at all until the turn of the 19th Century. The expression therefore is likely about 100 years old.]

Mad As A Hatter

Totally demented, crazy. [Hatters did, indeed, go mad. They inhaled fumes from the mercury that was part of the process of making felt hats. Not recognizing the violent twitching and derangement as symptoms of a brain disorder, people made fun of affected hat-makers, often treating them as drunkards. In the U.S., the condition was called the "Danbury shakes." (Danbury, Connecticut, was a hat-making center.) Mercury is no longer used in the felting process: hat-making -- and hat-makers -- are safe.]

Hat In Hand

A demonstration of humility. For example, "I come hat in hand" means that I come in deference or in weakness. [I assume that the origins are from feudal times when serfs or any lower members of feudal society were required to take off their hats in the presence of the lord or monarch (remember the Dr. Seuss book "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins"?). A hat is your most prideful adornment.]

Pass The Hat

Literally to pass a man's hat among members of an audience or group as a means for collecting money. Also to beg or ask for charity. [The origin is self-evident as a man's hat turned upside down makes a fine container.]

Throwing A Hat In the Ring

Entering a contest or a race e.g. a political run for office. [A customer wrote us with the following: "I read in "The Language of American Politics" by William F. Buckley Jr. that the phrase "throw one's hat in the ring" comes from a practice of 19th Century saloon keepers putting a boxing ring in the middle of the barroom so that customers who wanted to fight each other would have a place to do so without starting a donnybrook. If a man wanted to indicate that he would fight anybody, he would throw his hat in the ring.

At one point, Theodore Roosevelt declared he was running for office with a speech that included a line that went something like, "My hat is in the ring and I am stripped to the waist". The phrase "my hat in the ring" stuck, probably because "I am stripped to the waist" is a little gross.]

Wearing Many Hats

This of course is a metaphor for having many different duties or jobs. [Historically, hats have often been an integral, even necessary, part of a working uniform. A miner, welder, construction worker, undertaker, white-collar worker or banker before the 1960s, chef, farmer, etc. all wear, or wore, a particular hat. Wearing "many hats" or "many different hats" simply means that one has different duties or jobs.]

All Hat and No Cattle

All show and no substance. For example, in October 2003, Senator Robert Byrd declared that the Bush administration's declarations that it wanted the United Nations as a partner in transforming Iraq were "All Hat and No Cattle". [This Texas expression refers to men who dress the part of powerful cattlemen, but don't have the herds back home.]

To Hang Your Hat (or not)

To commit to something (or not), or stake your reputation on something (or not), like an idea or policy. For example "I wouldn't hang my hat on George Steinbrenner's decision to fire his manager." [Origin unknown. Can anyone help with this one?]
At the Drop of a Hat
Fast. [Dropping a hat, can be a way in which a race can start (instead of a starting gun for example). Also, a hat is an apparel item that can easily become dislodged from its wearer. Anyone who wears hats regularly has experienced the quickness by which a hat can fly off your head.]

Keeping Something Under One's Hat

Keeping a secret. [People kept important papers and small treasures under their hats. One's hat was often the first thing put on in the morning and the last thing taken off at night, so literally keeping things under one's hat was safe keeping. A famous practitioner of this was Abraham Lincoln. The very utilitarian cowboy hat was also commonly used for storage.]

White Hat

Although I don't see or hear this expression as much as "Black Hat", it simply is the opposite of that and it means that the good guys wore/wear white hats.

Well, that was way too much information about hats, but I hope you enjoyed it.

The United Methodist philosophy of “Open Minds, Open Hearts and Open Doors” is something on which I can hang my hat. It is my hope that if you do not already have a church home that you can find one where you can hang your hat. Why not give us a try?

Blessings,
Robbin

No comments:

Post a Comment