Monday, March 1, 2010

I used everything you gave me.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me".

~Erma Bombeck

As I was musing the other day over the fact that I waited so late in my life to answer God’s call. I looked at a few quotes on the subject. I think Erma Bombeck got it right. My Mom always liked Erma Bombeck. She would tell it like it was. I have always had a fondness for people that said what they felt. I have never been one that subscribed to the idea of PC or being PC. PC in this case stands for Politically Correct.

I realize that we are not supposed to use harsh or harmful words just to use them, but we should not shy away from the truth, particularly when it needs to be heard. This country of ours was based on the right to freedom of speech. Somehow, that has been interpreted that it is acceptable to bad mouth this country. Burning flags and such is considered an acceptable practice, but if someone stands up for what most would call normal moral, ethical and religious rights, he is considered out of line. So many of our laws that were put into place in order to protect our citizens and this country itself have been used and interpreted incorrectly. Their original purposes forever lost to history.

I will not even begin to address what our forefathers meant by freedom of religion and what that has led to today. No prayer in schools is only scratching the surface of all that has gone wrong. Ok, that’s enough of my soapbox. Let's get back to Erma Bombeck and her tremendous insight.

To paraphrase Erma Bombeck, she hoped that at the end of her life that she had used every talent that God had given her. I think that is a wonderful goal for all Christians. I decided to do a little Bible research to see if I could back up Erma’s quote with scripture.

First of all, we need to discuss the word talent and its meaning in the Bible and how it came to mean what it does today.

Here is the last paragraph from Wikipedia's definition of talent. The talent as a unit of value is mentioned in the New Testament in Jesus' parable of the talents. This parable is the origin of the sense of the word "talent" meaning "gift or skill" as used in English and other languages. Luke includes a similar parable with different details involving the mina. The talent is also used elsewhere in the Bible, as when describing the material invested in the dwelling of the commandments. Solomon received 666 gold talents a year.

So the word talent was often use metaphorically in the Bible. When used metaphorically it usually had something to do with a personal ability. Throughout the Bible God gave men abilities or talents that they needed to complete a task. Often these were called gifts and came in many different forms.

I think from the way Erma Bombeck worded this quote, that she hoped to use all of the gifts that God had given her so they were not wasted in any way. I think that is a wonderful goal for all of us. It leads to some wonderful questions that we should ask ourselves about how are we using the gifts God gave us and are we using all of them the best that we can.

Lets look at some scriptures that discuss God's gifts.

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.” James 1:17-18

These gifts are given in order that we might resist temptation and overcome it and empower us to do God's will.

Gifts are mentioned often in the New Testament.

God's Gifts Can't Be Bought

 “When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money and said, "Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit."  Peter answered: "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!” Acts 8:18-20

God's Gift's Are Based On Our Faith And Our Needs

For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake; Philippians 1:29

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Ephesians 2:8

“I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.” 1 Corinthians 7:7

“For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:6-7

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: Matthew 7:7

But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. James 4:6

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. James 1:5

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

God Gifts Are Because He Loves Us

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? Luke 11:13

We Are To Be Good Stewards Of God's Gifts

As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 1 Peter 4:10

The Gift Of Eternal Life

“but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 4:14

“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 6:23

When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life. Acts 11:18

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life John 3:16


These scriptures are just a few examples of the wonderful gifts that God gives us through His grace. God wants us to be successful in doing His will. If we earnestly seek to do His will, He will provide us with what we need to accomplish His purposes. The power of the Holy Spirit can help us to refrain from temptation and to know the pure joy of doing God's will.

I pray the power of the Holy Spirit comforts and protects you in your life, and God blesses you with His amazing grace. I pray these things in the name of Jesus. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment